This account traces the development of the Department of Biology, McMaster University, from the opening of the University for classes in 1890 with courses given by a succession of individual lecturers, to the beginning of the 1990s when a series of retirements led to a major transformation of what was by then a sizable Department in its own building. Needless to say this is only an outline of the Department’s history, as it would be impossible to describe more than a fraction of the contributions of all those who have passed through it or the influence it has had on innumerable students.
Bayley, Stanley T., "Biology at McMaster University: 1890 to 1990" (2008). Biology Publications. Paper 1.